[cisco-voip] 911 Call Routing Issues

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Thu Nov 13 17:29:02 EST 2008

Assuming you are running a recent version of CUCM your phones are most
likely using the enbloc dialing feature (8.4.x phone loads), meaning that
when you use onhook dialing the phone sends the numbers in one chunk, rather
than one at a time, to CUCM.  This will allow it to bypass the 9.911 with
urgent priority that would normally have received the call if the digits had
been dialed one at a time.

You should be able to use CCM traces or CDR records to determine who is
making the calls.

You can put the 9.911XXXXXXX block pattern into the None partition if you
wish all phones to use it.  As long as it is more specific than other 9.<10
digit> patterns this won't cause issues.  9.911XX! will probably introduct
interdigit timeout for all of your external calls.

As for whether to use a route pattern or translation pattern it depends on
how you want to handle it.   If you want to guess the number the user was
trying to dial then use a translation pattern to fix up the number for them.
You could also use this to redirect them to a voicemail box with a greeting
telling them they have misdialed the number and to please try again.

If you just want to block the call you can use a route pattern and even set
the block reason (for CDR purposes).

-Ryan