[cisco-voip] Gatekeeper question

wayne.j.jackson at uk.bnpparibas.com wayne.j.jackson at uk.bnpparibas.com
Thu Nov 27 06:03:18 EST 2008

Gatekeeper question

I was originally looking to deploy gatekeepers in a voice only
infrastructure for address resolution between a number of sites which all
have their own  Site codes- no problem however now we are looking to make
use of the same GK`s for video again using  the same sites codes- is the
single GK approach for voice and video recommended?

The video devices will register to a regional CCM, this CCM will route
normal voice traffic to the GK as well

Voice calls dial 8xx+ extension number to dial another site, the 8 is a
route pattern to the GK

Ideally only one set of Gatekeepers to serve both voice and video
Same access code for voice and video 8xxxxx

Below is a simple example  of a possible GK set up

Zone local London cisco.com x.x.x.x
Zone local New York
Zone local  Tokyo

Zone prefix London 812*
Zone prefix New York 846*
Zone prefix Tokyo 823 *

Issue

I would like for a video call to be sent to the GK  for resolution but be
governed by the bandwidth commend say 384 for Video however a voice call
to the same site to be governed by either no bandwidth control or another
figure e.g 880. Also I`m trying to cut down on the amount of  commends in
the GK  so this is the reason we wish to use GK`s

Can it be done?

My thinking is as bandwidth commend is linked to the name of the zone and
so the name of CCM registered to it ,  can I register  two trunks to the
GK from the same CCM but with different names and use the routing in CCM
to pick the voice trunk and the video trunk?

     Zone local Londonvoice cisco.com x.x.x.x
Zone local New Yorkvoice
Zone local  Tokyovoice
      Zone local Londonvideo
Zone local New Yorkvideo
Zone local  Tokyovideo

however I then have the issue of  wanting to use the same access code for
both calls

Again maybe use different tech-prefix on the voice trunk and video trunk
1#. 2# and somehow use this for routing in the same way as a zone prefix?
can you associate a bandwidth to a tech-prefix.   I know you can use
hopoff based upon the tech-prefix but how good is this approach and is it
recommended? Another way is  If we do not allocate any bandwidth setting
to voice but  only video then the voice calls could use the hop off
statements for routing  and the video use the zone local statements , how
much work is this , is it recommended?

An other way is to use two access codes 8 for voice #8 for video, if I do
this do I need to have multiple local zone as below   but the question is
still can the CCM register two different trunks so to create the different
 zones  LONDONVOICE, LONDONVIDEO to the same GK ?

 Zone local Londonvoice.cisco.com x.x.x.x
Zone local New Yorkvoice
Zone local  Tokyovoice
      Zone local Londonvideo
Zone local New Yorkvideo
Zone local  Tokyovideo

Zone prefix Londonvoice 812*
Zone prefix New Yorkvoice 846*
Zone prefix Tokyovoice 823 *
Zone prefix Londonvideo #812*
Zone prefix New Yorkvideo #846*
Zone prefix Tokyovideo #823 *

I could then at least have different bandwidths per zone

bandwidth interzone new yorkvoice 880
bandwidth interzone new yorkvideo 384

Also can you have bandwidth zone between individual zones i.e  to limit
the number of calls between CCM A to CCM B  to be 880 but CCM A to CCM C
to be 128 due to the different possible links

Sorry for the multiple questions