[cisco-voip] Cisco Unity Unified Messaging with Exchange 2003

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 18:17:01 EDT 2009

Rebooting Unity generally works for us. usually our windows networking
folks tell me ahead of time when they are going to reboot exchange
and/or GC server, and I just schedule a unity reboot for a few hours
later (usually ends up being 3AM). One thing to keep in mind if you
have a large number of mailboxes - when you reboot it's going to be
resynching MWI lights, and its a slow process (takes an hour+ for us
with 4000 mailboxes last time I cared to time it). Also, I'm not 100%
sure, but I think while this is going on any state changes for new
messages are going to get queued up behind the resynchs in the
notifier queue.. which would just make it seem worse until it sorts
itself all out.

Are there any SR's for your version of Unity? Might be worth
researching to see if there are any MWI bugs. We seemed to have fewer
MWI problems when we moved to 4.1 from 4.0.x. (we're on 5 now). We
still reboot after any exchange or GC/DC patches though.

Ed

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 4:20 PM,  <thomaslemay at comcast.net> wrote:

> We have unified messaging with unity 4.0.5 with Exchange.  It seems that
> every time the exchange team patches or reboots the exchange cluster it
> wreaks havoc with our unity message waiting lamp lights.  We have a variety
> of mwi issues ranging from lights that stay on and don't turn off, lights
> that don't turn on but new messages are there. lights that turn on but there
> are no new messages and so forth.  We try to reboot our unity servers as
> soon after the exchange team completes their patch\reboot process but this
> seems to exacerbate the mwi situation.  Has anyone else experienced this
> issue?  If so, how have you dealt with it successfully?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Tom

Ed Leatherman
Assistant Director, Voice Services
West Virginia University
Telecommunications and Network Operations