[cisco-voip] CCM6 or 7 recovery disk myth

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Tue Apr 14 10:49:37 EDT 2009

To clarify,

the recovery disk primarily contains a basic kernel and fsck.  A little
digging on linux shows the reason: you cannot run fsck against a mounted
volume.  Well, you can because linux allows you to do most anything, but
it usually corrupts the partition even further.  So the recovery disk is
basically a small livecd that boots a linux kernel and runs fsck against
partitions on the hard disk.

AFAIK the recovery disk does not contain any RPMs, scripts, or other
binaries that would be copied from the recovery disk to the hard disk.

/Wes