[cisco-voip] fax and modem relay

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 22:36:03 EDT 2009

Hi Eric,

You can configure both passthrough and T38 on MGCP simultaneously.

The call will switch over to passthrough a hair before T38 because
passthrough kicks off on the ANSAM/2100Hz tone.  When the DIS is
received, it will switch over to T38.  If T38 negotiates successfully,
it will take preference over passthrough.  If both are configured, it
will try to negotiate T38, but if the other side will not negotiate
it, it will stay in modem passthrough.

In the case that your remote gateway is only configured for T38, the
call will not switch over to passthrough on the 2100Hz tone, but will
then switch over to T38 on the DIS.  You would configure just T38 on
the remote site, and passthrough + T38 on the main site.

-nick