[cisco-voip] Database Layer Change Notification

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Mon Apr 27 16:55:04 EDT 2009

Hi Robert,

You can get details on each of the mentioned defects in Cisco Bug
Toolkit on Cisco.com. CSCsf31622 specifically applies to 'change
notification load'.  What does that mean?  Enterprise wide extension
mobility login/logout, enterprise wide MWI refresh.  These are the 2
biggest change notification generators that come to mind.  My point here
was not load but rather backup.  Once change notification (CN) begins to
backup the performance rapidly degrades.  If aupair gets stopped for
some reason so that the queue gets backed up, then aupair will have a
very difficult time catching up once aupair is started back.

CM5.x and 6.x offer perfmon counters to monitor for CN backups.  I am
not aware of a good way to monitor in CM4.x.

One thing we have used successfully in the past is a set of
'TraceCollection' scripts authored by Jim Cardon at Cisco.  These
periodically pull traces from defined CM nodes and parse the traces for
specified strings.  You could use this to look for aupair performing
normally ("Select TOP 499 * from DBLCNQueueHead AS H JOIN DBLCNQueueOld
AS O ON O.ref=H.ref JOIN DBLCNQueueNew AS N ON N.ref=H.ref order by
H.seq").  If not found then alert.

CM5.x and 6.x have this trace collection and trace monitoring built in
by default, just need to be configured.

/Wes