[cisco-voip] Migrating from CM 4.1.3 to Cisco BE 7.0

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Wed Aug 12 10:04:48 EDT 2009

MANY variables:
how many times upgraded
how many interim versions were run
what native or 3rd party tools attempted to modify the database
who attempted directly editing the database
how many dbl/iis problems have been encountered?  Unfortunately
transactions were not strictly enforced so when problems occured there
were partial commits to the database
Is enterprise LDAP integration used?  This is probably the largest
contributor to errors. When objects move in the enterprise there is no
change notification to CM (unity tried but CN from AD appears rather
unreliable) so CM ends up with numerous broken pointers in the database.

The other systemic problem is that 4.x enforced business rules via DBL
rather than directly in the database.  Think of having a guard in front
of your storage room, but your storage room has no shelves.  Users must
verify with the guard but once inside they have free reign and very
little structure.

/Wes