[cisco-voip] Testing phone firmware updates prior to rollout.

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Thu Aug 13 11:40:40 EDT 2009

This is correct, simply starting the TFTP service (or restarting it)
won't trigger the phones to download new firmware.  While the device
defaults page points to the new firmware and after the TFTP service
restart any phones that happen to boot will get the new firmware.

If you are installing new firmware in order to test in on a few phones
the order should be:
1. write down current device defaults value for the phone model you
are installing
2. install firmware via .cop file on the TFTP server
3. write down new device defaults value and change it back to the
value from step 1
4. restart TFTP service
5. update device page of the phone(s) you want to get the new load,
reset the phone

-Ryan