[cisco-voip] Sounding like talking in a metal tube ?

David Sullivan David.Sullivan at barnet.ac.uk
Tue Dec 1 06:08:54 EST 2009

> Hello everyone.  Have an issue here, we have 9 voice gateways in our
> network and we are having complaints that incoming and outgoing calls
> (anything passing one particular LEC PSTN) sound like a "robot" or
> "talking in a metal tube" from customers.  This is happening only on
> one voice gateway at the moment.  I've tried restarting the gateway
and
> also doing a shut / no shut on the controller with no improvement.
All
> internal calls across our WAN are fine it's just calls transitioning
> this one particular voice gateway.   I'm running CM 4.1(3).  Any help
> and/or suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance.

This sounds like a classic ulaw/alaw mismatch. Check the codec and dial
peer settings.

David Sullivan
IT Services Systems Team
Barnet College

This communication may contain privileged or confidential information which
is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please note that you may not distribute or use this
communication or the information it contains.  If this e-mail has reached you
in error, please delete it and any attachment.

Internet communications are not secure and Barnet College does not accept
legal responsibility for the content of this message.  Any views or opinions
expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of Barnet College.

Please note that Barnet college reserves the right to monitor the
source/destinations of all incoming or outgoing e-mail communications.