[cisco-voip] OT: Tandberg or should I call it Cisco?

Matthew Saskin msaskin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 08:15:34 EST 2009

They have almost perfectly complementary product lines, and for the most
part where there's overlap, there is a clear winner.

Scheduling/Resource Management - TMS over CUVC-M any day of the week
MCU - Codian over the OEM radvision solution by far; rior to Tandberg
acquiring Codian they [Codian] had already demonstrated SCCP integration w/
CUCM as a media resource to enable multi-point desktop conferencing, they
just weren't licensing and releasing the feature to customers.
Desktop Video - Movi and CUVA is a toss-up in my book, but I don't have much
experience with the Movi client

For the rest of the line, Cisco has no small room-based video options (the
CTS-500 doesn't count), so that's a natural Tandberg fit.  When it comes to
Telepresence (T3/CTS-3000) it's a bit of a toss-up and is going to come down
to interoperability plain and simple as well as keeping existing customers
happy.

Note: my personal opinions only - it'll be an interesting few months once
the acquisition actually completes.

Matthew Saskin
msaskin at gmail.com
203-253-9571