[cisco-voip] WAN failure in call manager

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Thu Dec 10 17:49:52 EST 2009

The phone doesn't trigger the SRST function, it just controls it's own behaviour, i.e. when it tries to register to the SRST router. In order for this to work, SRST has to always be up.

Again, I could be wrong, but I've tested this in the past. The remote router is fully connected, WAN is up and everything, MGCP gateways are registered to CUCM. Then, using an ACL, I block a few phones here at HQ from talking to the CUCM cluster. Within seconds they register to the remote router in SRST mode.

Now, does the remote router automatically go into SRST mode when the first registering device talks to it? Perhaps, but I don't see any log entries that would suggest that.

Some supporting(?) details:

router#show call-manager-fallback
CONFIG (Version=4.0(2))
=====================
<snip>
max-dn 500 dual-line
</snip>

kc-vgw#show dial-peer voice summary
AD PRE PASS OUT
TAG TYPE MIN OPER PREFIX DEST-PATTERN FER THRU SESS-TARGET STAT PORT
<snip>
20001 pots up down 5 50/0/1
20002 pots up down 5 50/0/2
20003 pots up down 5 50/0/3
.
.
.
20498 pots up down 5 50/0/498
20499 pots up down 5 50/0/499
20500 pots up down 5 50/0/500
</snip>

The router has the dynamic dial-peers (no DEST-PATTERN) ready to go, all 500 of them, ready to assign to phones as they register.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
(519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (JNHN)
"Bad grammar makes me [sic]" - Tshirt