[cisco-voip] When is Transcoding Required?

Aaron Riemer ariemer at wesenergy.com.au
Thu Dec 10 21:36:14 EST 2009

Hi Guys,

Can someone clarify exactly when transcoding between codec's will
actually occur on voice gateways? For example if I have a branch site
with Cisco IP Telephony and the phones are using G.729 and the site has
a voice gateway and PSTN services in what situation will transcoding
occur? Will all inbound and outbound calls through the PSTN require
transcoding? i.e. G.729 to G.711 and vice versa? If the site has 10
lines will I require at least 10 transcoding sessions to cater for 10
simultaneous PSTN calls?

Thanks,

Aaron.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.