[cisco-voip] Viewing CallManger Sylog mesaages on desktop using wireshark

Tim Reimers treimers at ashevillenc.gov
Tue Dec 15 11:13:14 EST 2009

I know one thing I'm always interested in with Syslog is doing constant
background realtime analysis.

Using regular rsyslog, I'm working alerts configured for key ports going
up and down on key switches, disk errors from servers, and the like.

It'd be nice to get that sort of ongoing alerts from the Callmanagers.

If RTMT was good at telling us ==what== had happened when an event
triggered an email, that would be nice.

Unfortunately, RTMT sends out useful <sarcasm> things like "Number of
RouteListExhausted events exceed 20 within 60 minutes. The alert is
generated on Tue Dec 15 10:27:48 EST 2009 on cluster CM1-Cluster. "

I'm glad to know that a call didn't match any route lists--- but it'd be
nice to be told +which phone+ made that call, so I could go help the
user.
I'm betting that whatever object RTMT is looking at in UCM does in fact
contain that level of detail, because RTMT clearly did some sort of
analysis to determine that the event occured.

The data is there, but San Jose has yet to see the wisdom in passing
that data to RTMT so that it can be forwarded to the alert contacts. The
user has to go do all the harder work, Cisco hasn't done that part to an
enterprise application level.

In many ways, the alerting in RTMT is no more than a switch logging  "A
port went down. Now it's back up. I don't know which port, but it might
be on this switch."

Syslog tells you which port, which switch, what time, and often if
you're syslogging the connected server, you see some sort of correlating
"user initiated reboot" coming from there, and you know all is well,
that it's a planned event.

Tim Reimers
Systems Analyst II
Information Technology Services