[cisco-voip] Question About Hard Drive Partitions for Unity

Pat Hayes pat-cv at wcyv.com
Tue Feb 10 12:35:46 EST 2009

A larger C: partition isn't likely to directly cause a problem, but it
does mean that your other partition(s) are going to be that much
smaller, and that can certainly lead to problems, if only with
user/message capacity. Maybe not a huge issue if the box is over
spec'd and/or you're not hosting exchange on the same server.

The docs say you should either use the PCD (which will create you a
Cisco approved 12 gig partition) or to install your own OS and use a
12 gig partition. If you stray from that, TAC can tell you you're
running an unsupported config, and ask you to reinstall properly. That
isn't too likely to happen, particularly for issues unrelated to the
OS or partitioning, but it is a risk you open yourself up to.

If the only reason to do this is because 'that's how the server guys
like to do it', is it really worth it? This might be a good time to
have a heart to heart with them.There's going to be all sorts of other
things that they 'like to do' that can have highly negative effects on
your voice servers. Security agents, anti virus, group policy,
changing AD permissions, moving users around, Exchange maintenance,
third party software, etc. You might as well break the ice now :-)