[cisco-voip] Tone On Hold for a conference bridge system

Micah Bennett mbennett at als-xtn.com
Wed Feb 11 10:43:34 EST 2009

Hello all

We have an older PBX system that we are using as a conference bridge.
It has the ability to easily configure groups of incoming ports that
will be linked together.  Anyway, its been working fine.  My only issue
is that when someone calls into the conf bridge and puts the call on
hold the rest of the callers hear the "beep beep beep" Tone on hold
every 10 seconds.

I found the below information in the Cisco docs regarding some settings
where I can disable the ToH, but I have a question.  After I change the
timer do I need to restart that server or the service for that to take
effect?  I have it changed to 200000 right now but it did not change
anything.  I am thinking a reset may be needed to implement it.

If a reset of the service is needed, is this something that can be done
anytime or best reserved for the maintenance window?

Q. How do I disable Tone on Hold (ToH)?

    A. Complete these steps in order to disable ToH:

       1. Go to the Cisco CallManager Administration page.
       2. Choose Service > Service Parameters.
       3. Choose CallManager IP as the Server and Cisco CallManager as
the Service.
       4. Go to the Clusterwide Parameters (Device - General) section on
the Service Parameters configuration page.
       5. Change the value of the Tone On Hold Timer to 2000000 seconds
and click Update.

    A. This parameter specifies the number of seconds between every two
hold tones that are played when a call is put on hold. For
non-MGCP-based devices, if this value is 0, the held device plays the
hold tone only one time when the caller is put on hold. If the value is
200000, no hold tone plays. Otherwise, the held device plays the hold
tone every so many seconds (specified by this value) repeatedly. If the
specified value is less than 5 seconds, the device raises it to 5
seconds. For MGCP-based devices, the hold tone is disabled if this value
is 0 or 200000. Any other value enables the hold tone on MGCP-based
devices when the caller is put on hold.

Micah Bennett
Telecommunications Admin
Active Outdoors