[cisco-voip] Unity 4.0.5 unified messaging subscribers unable to open voicemail wav files in Exchange 2003

thomaslemay at comcast.net thomaslemay at comcast.net
Mon Feb 23 14:09:48 EST 2009

We have had several unity 4.0.5 unified messaging subscribers who sporadically will get an error message from Microsoft Exchange informing them that they can no longer open voice-mail message wav file attachments.  I have found a temporary solution but I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and put a permanent solution in place?

Here is the information I discovered about Outlook and the error message text:

Evidently Outlook only allows (100) *.wav files to be resident in the "OLK" folder which is opened in the Temporary Internet Files folder. Since Subscriber X had a number of hidden (over the 100) *.wav files in their temporary Internet files folder, Outlook gave the following message when trying to open the attachments... "this object was created in Outlook.  this application is not available to open this object.  Make sure the application is properly installed and that it has not been deleted, moved or renamed."  We deleted a number of the .wav files to enable subscriber X to open the attachments...

Here is the temporary solution I found on Google:

You may receive the following error message when opening attachments in Outlook (such as PDF faxes): "Can't create file: FAX.TIF. Right-Click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions on the folder."

Microsoft Outlook uses a temporary folder to save and open the attachments. By default that folder is:
"C:\Documents and Settings\%USER_NAME%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK#\" (where # is a random number) Some of the latest security updates for Windows 2000 and XP are preventing folders to be created in that folder. The solution is to use the regular TEMP folder.

1. Use REGEDIT.EXE to locate the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security

(Note: Depending on your version you may have to modify that path after the "Office" key. You may have folders 8.0, 9.0, 10.0, 11.0, go the highest number. This is probably the version that you use.)

2. Modify the Key "OutlookSecureTempFolder", by replacing "Temporary Internet Files" with "Temp". For example:
OLD VALUE: "C:\Documents and Settings\tim\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK177\"

(Note: There may be a different number than 177)

NEW VALUE: "C:\Documents and Settings\tim\Local Settings\Temp\OLK177\"

3. Restart Microsoft Outlook.

This solution works until the subscriber fills up the folder again.  It becomes problematic for me because my end users do not have local admin access to their PCs so they can not empty the temp folders on their own.  Has anyone found a better solution to this issue?

thanks,

Tom