[cisco-voip] CDR Monitoring tool

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 11:23:10 EST 2009

Take a look at the IPSLA feature set, if you have equipment that can run the
required IOS it can do quite a bit in the monitoring portion when paired
with some decent network management tools that you might already have.

www.cisco.com/ipsla

I'm using it for various synthetic tests on our LAN and WAN links for such
things as call quality and latency between CUCM subscribers. test results
are pollable via SNMP and you can graph them with MRTG or cacti if you
happen to use those.
I'm not doing any alerting with it currently but I know it can be configured
to send SNMP traps if a threshold is exceeded.

Ed

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Daniel Martin <martind at cae.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>

> I'm looking to purchase  good  VoIP monitoring  tool(s) and would like to
> know what other people in the community are using?
>

> I want two different types of tool.
>

> One that is proactively monitoring the network / QoS / Call Manager and
> notifies me of issues, able to do synthetic tests as well. Some reports and
> dashboard are also something that is needed. I've been researching products
> such as Prognosis, CA Ehealth (since we are using Spectrum) and Cisco
> Operations Manager (Service Monitor).
>
> -          Anybody using these products and can provide me some pros/cons
> or propose other products
>

> The other product would be sniffer type such as JDSU DA-3400 / Probe or
> something running on a laptop that can analyse voice traffic on a SPAN port.
> Cisco has probes as well with their Service Monitor product which sounds
> good. Anybody using probes to capture/analyse voice traffic? Which product
> are you using and pros/cons?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Daniel.
>

> Daniel Martin
>
> Chef de Groupe - Infrastructure Réseau et Télécom
>
> Group Leader - Network Infrastructure and Telecom
>
> CAE Inc.
>
> St-Laurent, Québec Canada
>
> H4T 1G6
>
> Tél:  1-514-341-2000 x4878
>
> Fax: 1-514-340-5583

Ed Leatherman
Assistant Director, Voice Services
West Virginia University
Telecommunications and Network Operations