[cisco-voip] Headsets for 7960 and 7961 IP phones?

Robert rsingleton at morsco.com
Tue Jan 13 16:29:58 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 15:01 -0600, Countryman, Edward wrote:
> Anyone know of a headset that will work *without* a lifter on the
> 7960/61 phones?

Judging from the replies, I can only assume they mean *wireless*
headsets that work with out a lifter *to remotely answer calls*.

As for answering the phone in person with a wired headset, that's what
the headset mode button is for. I use all kinds of Plantronics models,
but my favorite is the H81 Tristar with a voice tube and the 26716-01
adapter cord.

The cord plugs in to the headset jack on the back of the phone; the
headset into the cord. Press the headset button, which lights up green
and gives you a dialtone in the headset. Press EndCall. The phone is
ready. When it rings, hit Answer or the line button. You can do anything
you would otherwise do with the phone. When finished, press EndCall. No
need to touch the handset at all. In fact, if you do pick up the
handset, the phone comes out of headset mode automatically. Much better
than the adapter boxes that plug in series with the handset cord. With
them, you have to toggle between handset and headset mode on the box
*and* headset mode on the phone.

We have a few wireless headsets with remote lifters. Most people using
them usually find that it's cool, but impractical in the long run. They
can only answer and hang up remotely and they can't get very far from
the phone anyway. On the other hand, there are a very few users with
wireless headsets in counter sales positions. They rarely have a need to
do more than answer and hang up and are able to leave their terminal and
retrieve or verify product while on the phone with the customer. For the
ones this works for, it works exceptionally well. Most other wireless
headsets are abandoned in a few weeks, at least in our application.

Robert