[cisco-voip] Phone Proxy

Keith Allan Keith.Allan at 5i.co.uk
Fri Jan 30 02:38:14 EST 2009

We tried installing the ASA version of the PhoneProxy on a large
customer site and had to replace it for the older PhoneProxy appliance
we had spare.  The problem we found was the fact the ASA version is not
a 'true' proxy and all Internet traffic has to route through this one
device.  External phones register with the public address and not the
PhoneProxy address as is the case on the older appliance.  Our customer
has lots of remote sites with their own Internet connections and phones
were routing their traffic through the wrong gateway.  We have raised
this with the BU because the literature states it is a direct
replacement and this is not the case.