[cisco-voip] translation pattern

Bill Talley btalley at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 11:00:40 EST 2009

If I'm not mistaken, the only way this would be possible, is that each
destination number the dial string is translated to must be exactly the
same, with the the exception of the digits you're carrying forward.

e.g. you can't have 12001 translate to 90114010390239020 and 12002 translate
to 901134384920392 using a single tranlsation pattern.   You can however
have 12001 translate to 901140303482012001 and 12002 translate to
901140303482012002 using single translation pattern of 12XXX.

To do the latter, prefix 9011403034820 (or whatever the destination number
will be excluded the original dial string) in the translation pattern.  You
can also use a transform mask of 9011403034820XXXXX, where the X's represent
the number of original digits to carry forward with the transformed number.

If you have different countries you're calling into, you'll need a different
translation pattern for each unique destination number or country being
called.

This part applies only to Call Manager 4.x and earlier.    I believe you can
use additional wildcards in translation patterns such as 120[23]0.  This
would match both 12020 and 12030.   Or something like 1200[3-7].  So if you
want to configure ranges of number for a specific number, in a specific
country you could do that.  I haven't figured out how to do this in UCM 5+.

If that's inaccurate for just flat out wrong, hopefully someone will correct
me so I'm not spewing invalid info.