[cisco-voip] Low IP Phone MOS Values

Andrew voiptech at gmx.de
Wed Jul 8 11:57:24 EDT 2009

Dear All,
I am currently troubleshooting issues with very low MOS values being
displayed on the IP Phone statistics. While the customer isn’t noticing
any issues with voice quality, I’ve been asked nevertheless to attempt
to resolve the issue.
There are around 20 IP Phones (7940/7961) in use on the site, and at any
given time 2 -6 of them can be displaying low values, usually the same
culprits every time. The phones are using the G711 codec and the
switches are connected (with 1 exception) via gigabit links.
The interface counters on the phones and the switches between the
phones, gateway and call manager (retracing the entire path) don’t have
any more than a normal volume of errors (>1%). QOS is configured on all
interfaces.
We made test calls both internally and externally with 5 separate phones
attached to each of the switches, and every time the MOS results were
between 4.48 and 4.5.
Values for the phones with issues look like:

MOS LQK 2.0000 Avg MOS LQK 2.2219 Min MOS LQK 2.0000 Max MOS LQK 4.1779
MOS LQK Version0.95
Cumulative Conceal Ratio 0.5963 Interval Conceal Ratio 0.0860 Max
Conceal Ratio 1.0000
Conceal Secs 140 Severely Conceal Secs 133
Latency 0 Max. Jitter 19

However at some point the values are going back to the same low values.
We enabled CMRs for the calls to determine if specific calls were
showing the poor values, however for all of the calls being logged the
media info is still carrying only the values “null”.

Does anyone have any advice on how we could try an resolve this issue,
or if not the MOS issue than the null values for the CMR records?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer,

Andrew Cook