[cisco-voip] Low IP Phone MOS Values

Jason Burns burns.jason at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 18:32:26 EDT 2009

Andrew,
I'd put Wireshark on a PC behind one or more of the phones reporting the
problem. It can give you some pretty good RTP statistics regarding delay and
jitter. You can see how many RTP packets arrived in more or less than the 20
msec expected gap between packets, and how many might have been missed
altogether.

A good stream will show packets coming in at even 20 msec intervals with
consecutive sequence numbers.

Right click on the RTP packet in Wireshark and go to something like "Stream
Analysis" or highlight the packet and in the top menu go to "Statistics ->
RTP -> Stream Analysis".

Look for out of order sequence numbers, gaps bigger or smaller than 20
msecs, or big gaps in sequence numbers. If you can spot a particular
direction of the stream that looks goofed up you can identify all of the
ingress and egress interfaces between the two endpoints in the call and look
closer.

PhoneA -- Switch 1 -- Switch 2 -- Router 1 --- Router 2 -- Switch 3 - Switch
4 -- Phone B

Start with captures at Phone A and Phone B. If you spot problems, bisect the
link and capture between Router 1 and Router 2 to see which half is
introducing problems. Repeat.

If on the other hand you don't see any problem in the packet capture, then
maybe the phones are calculating something wrong.

For the Null CMR values, make sure you reset the phones. See if they start
populating CMR data after that.