[cisco-voip] IPCC and Call Manager Upgrades

Michael Back Michael.Back at nisd.net
Mon Jun 8 11:06:33 EDT 2009

We did the same thing recently.  We were on CM 4.1.3 and CRS 3.5.  We
purchased new hardware for the upgrade to Ver. 7.  I chose to use new IP
addresses for the new hardware.  If you do the same, run DMA on your old
CM and import the database on a during test build.  Make sure EVERY
PHONE that you own is configured before running DMA the first time.
Once you get this initial import, get your license from Cisco for your
final build.  During the initial build, we intended on building our UCCX
7 box, but had trouble due to licensing.  It took a long time for us to
get our UCCX media and PAK compared to the UCM media and PAK.  Once you
have the software and PAK, perform your install, and make sure the
licensing matches what you are supposed to have on your system.  You can
then build your new UCCX using your old scripts and prompts.  Test all
your scripts thoroughly before going live.  Once you have your UCM
license and have UCCX ready, you can plan for the final upgrade for UCM.
 We did a final DMA a week before our upgrade and kept changes to a
minimum.  If a change was necessary, we made it to both the old and new
system.  All I had to do from this point was run a script that changed
option 150 on my DHCP scopes to the new TFTP.  If you have ATAs, make
sure they are using the most recent firmware.  I was able to complete
almost all of the staging during business hours, and had to work a
couple of hours extra on a Friday night for the DHCP change and actual
migration.  Make sure to do a device baseline so that you know how many
phones, gateways, etc. should be registered when you are done.  We have
more than 10,000 phones and had very few problems aside from our UCCX
licensing delay.

MB

>>> "Mike J. Erickson" <mjerickson at orbits.net> 6/8/2009 9:34 AM >>>
Hi All,

Somewhat general question.

We are running CM 4.2SR3 and IPCCX 4.0(5).  We want to get both
upgraded to 7, but it sounds like a tremendous task.  Anyone have any
experiences with this type of upgrade or suggestions on which path to
take?  We are going to go with new hardware.  I am wondering if there is
some way to stage this kind of upgrade.

Thanks.

Mike Erickson
Systems Engineer