[cisco-voip] CCM 6.1 CCMAdmin timeout

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Jun 8 14:26:37 EDT 2009

Bill Simon wrote:
> Sounds to me like two measures are needed.
>
> One, a configurable timeout value.

Agreed.  If a value is defined then it should be user-configurable after
the fact too.

> Two, some javascript that detects activity on a page such as clicking in
> and typing in form fields, for lengthy configuration sessions.

Now this would be a cool feature.  The timeout is already JS driven.
Sensing screen input and non-page-changing activity would be helpful.
Still it doesn't help in the cases where I switch over to cisco.com or a
dead tree reference to figure out how to do something.  Or answer a
short call that ends up lasting 30m.  Auto-logging out in such a short
time is just not helpful.

That said, if they would code in a way to keep track of your exact place
including text box and menu values (even if they weren't yet submitted)
as work in progress, then that would more or less solve the problem.
I've seen several web GUIs do things like that.

> I'd still like the "user walked away from terminal for lunch" security
> of, say, 30 minutes time out, or even the 20 minutes it is now, as long
> as the system can understand when there is non-GET/POST activity going
> on on a page and not interrupt a configuration session.

In a case like that then the policy on the workstation should lock the
PC.  It shouldn't be up to the apps themselves to kick the user off.
The workstation policy should secure the PC for us, thus securing access
to the individual apps.  How would you feel if for security reasons your
mail admins forced Outlook and all it's windows to auto-close after 20
or even 30m of no activity, losing everything you were working on in the
mean time.  I wouldn't like it....

Justin