[cisco-voip] Slow to connect calls

Cristobal Priego cristobalpriego at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 14:51:53 EDT 2009

Jeff,

I'd do what Wes is saying, however I will check the traces myself before I
send those to TAC.
Trace the call look for the  StationOpenReceiveChannel output, this contains
the media Payload and bit rate check the timestamp of this message, then
look for this message StationOpenReceiveChannelAck and then look for
StartMediaTransmission, this message commands the phone to start streaming
RTPs, this includes UDP port, IP of remote endpoint, packet size and codec.
check the timestamps and if the delay between those messages is greater than
40ms or 200ms I don't remember hopefully someone knows the roundtrip delay
for MGCP. then the problem is MGCP and you may want to consider H.323.

I have an entire call flow from a few tests calls I made and got all the
messages that are involved

Call Processing Behavior

P->CM:  OffHookMessage

CM->P: StationCallState:  OffHook (1)

CM->P:  StationDisplayPromptStatus:  update the display

CM->P: StationSelectSoftKeys: loads the appropiate soft key set, depending
on the call state

CM->P: StationActivateCallPlane:  contains the specified line appearance of
the DN being called

CM->P: StationStartTone: InsideDialTone,  commands the phone to play
dialtone

P->CM: KeyPadButton: keypad button was pressed. *= 0xe; #=0xf

CM->P:  StationStopTone: msg sent when a tone needs to be stopped (i.e.
DialTone)

CM->P2: StationCallState:  State of the call: OffHook=1, OnHook=2,
RingOut=3, RingIn=4, Connected=5

                   Busy=6, Congestion=7, Hold=8, CallWaiting=9,
CallTransfer=10, CallPark=11, Proceed=12

                   CallRemoteMultiline=13, InvalidNumber=14

CM->P:  StationStartTone:  (outsidedialtone=34)

P->CM:  keyPadButton:

CM->P:  StationStopTone

CM->P2:  StationCallInfo:  msg has the called party DN/Name and Calling
party DN/Name

CM->P2: StationSetRinger:  sets the ringer to the specified ringing mode:
StationRingOff: stops ringer from Ringing, StationInsideRinging: indicates
OnNetCall,

                    StationOutsideRing: indicates OffNetCall,
StationFeatureRing: used by third-party apps to invoke special features

CM->P2: StationDisplayNotify:  this msg causes the phone to discard msg txt
from StationOutputDispalyText and play the text contained in
StationDisplayNotify

CM->P2: StationDisplayPromptStatus

CM->P2: StationSelectSoftKeys

CM->P: StationCallState:  proceed=12

CM->P: StationCallInfo

CM->P: StationStartTone: alerting Tone,  ringback tone

CM->P: StationCallState: ringout=3

CM->P: StationSelectSoftKeys

CM->P: StationDisplayPromptStatus

P2->CM: OffHookMessage

CM->P2: StationClearNotify: msg sent to the phone to clear the information
sent in the StationDisplayNotify msg

CM->P2: StationSetRinger: RingerOff

CM->P2: StationCallState

CM->P2: StationActivateCallPlane

CM->P: StationStopTone

CM->P: StationCallState

CM->P: StationCallInfo

CM->P: StationSelectSoftkeys

CM->P: StationDisplayPromptStatus

CM->P: StationOpenReceiveChannel: contains the media Payload and bit rate,
asks the phone if it is ready to receive RTP Stream

CM->P2: StationOpenReceiveChannel

P->CM: StationOpenReceiveChannelAck

P2->CM: StationOpenReceiveChannelAck

CM->P2: StartMediaTransmission: commands the phone to start streaming RTP.
Includes: UDP port , IP of remote endpoint, packet size, Codec

CM->P: StartMediaTransmission

P2->CM: OnHookMessage

CM->P2: StationConnectionStatisticsReq:  requests connectionstatistics from
the ip phone

P2->CM: StationSetSpeakerMode: turns the speakerphone on/off

CM->P2: StationClearStatus:

CM->P2: StationCallState: 2=onhook

CM->P2: StationSelectSoftkeys

CM->P2: StationDisplayPromptStatus

CM->P2: StationActivateCallPlane

P2->CM: StationConnectionStatisticsRes

CM->P2: StationDefineTimeDate

CM->P2: StationStopTone

CM->P: StationCloseReceiveChannel:  commands the phone to stop processing
RTP messages sent to it

CM->P: StationStopMediaTransmission: tells the phone to stop streaming RTP
packets

CM->P2: StationCloseReceiveChannel

CM->P2: StationStopMediaTransmission

CM is The communications Manager
P is phone 1 the phone that is placing the call
P2 is the phone that will receive the call

hopefully this will help you out

Cris