[cisco-voip] VG224 with Fax Machine going out Verzon Business SIP trunk via CUBE

Craig Staffin craig at staffin.org
Tue May 26 17:33:50 EDT 2009

Jason,

So far in my experience with VZ business SIP has not been the best with
faxing.
They do allow fax pass-through however sometimes the CUBE router has
problems switching from a G729 codec to G711 mid stream.  However I can
honestly say that I have never gotten faxes to work reliably over the
verizon network.

The default for Verizon SIP is G729 and once fax tones are detected it will
send a new INVITE message asking for G711 ONLY be aware of this as I ran
into problems where the dial peer was only coded for G729 and this would
lead to call silence on the call.

Some debug SIP messages would be useful to see if the call was detected as a
fax call by the Nortel softswitches that verizon uses.  If it was you should
see a INVITE messages a few seconds into the call.

Post back once you have some debugs as I have gotten far to familar with
troubleshooting verizon SIP issues :)

Craig