[cisco-voip] Question regarding Calling Party Name manipulation in CUCM 7.13

Nate Aliberto nate at aliberto.net
Wed Oct 14 10:38:13 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I have a rather interesting request supplied to me by a customer in the
midst of a CUCM/Unity Connection 7.13 deployment, requiring that CUCM
manipulate the calling party name of inbound calls being forwarded  from
a call handler defined in Unity connection.

Let me preface this by saying that I have advised against modifying
either the incoming calling party number of the calling party name as
the original calling party data would be lost and the ability to make
call-backs etc is severely impaired, however for the sake of argument
and to know if it is even possible....... I present this challenge.

The calling scenario runs as follows:

1.       Call is received from the PSTN and routed to an Auto Attendant
call handler in Unity Connection, where the caller is presented with
options based on the purpose of their call (Sales, Service, Parts).

2.       Based on the option selected the call is to be routed to an
operator extension for the department handling the call (as expected).

3.       While a single operator may be responsible for taking calls on
behalf of multiple departments they are still required to answer the
phone with an appropriate response (XYZ company Sales, XYZ company Parts
etc.).

Definitely a typical scenario for which under normal circumstances I
would create one Directory number to serve as the attendant for each
department defined above.  Separate line appearances for these DNs could
then be assigned to the phones of those individuals providing coverage
for each department.  When a call came into the Connection Call handler
it would be routed to the appropriate directory number and the operator
would then know the purpose of the call based on the line upon which it
is received.

My client however would like to avoid the deployment of multiple line
appearances assigned to a phone and provide an indication of the call
purpose using the "calling name" presentation of the incoming call.  For
Example:  If a  call came into the operator from the Connection Call
Handler destined for Sales the call would appear on the phone display as
being from "Sales" (or another friendly name).  I've attempted to
achieve this in a test scenario using a calling party transformation
pattern to translate the calling party number to an internally defined
DN, for which the Internal Caller ID is defined as "Sales".  While the
call is routed and calling party number is translated as expected the
calling party name does not change.

Ideally this would be simpler if I could somehow display the forwarding
station Number and Name to the operator rather than the original calling
party information but I'm not sure how to achieve that either.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nate