[cisco-voip] ATA firmware update

Robert Singleton rsingleton at morsco.com
Tue Oct 27 12:48:31 EDT 2009

Greetings, All!

I have several ATA188s in the field that have never updated firmware,
although most have. I have never been able to figure out why some
updated and others did not and more importantly, why some will decide to
update suddenly months later.

The older ones are running v3.1.0, which has ethernet ports fixed at
100Mb. The updated ones are running v3.02.03, which has ethernet ports
fixed at 10Mb. Normally, the port speed doesn't matter because they are
generally connected to switches that auto detect speed. In one
particular case today, however, I have four ATAs that are daisy chained
together and it appears that the 2nd in the string has updated, so it
and the 2 behind it cannot register. The first in the chain is still
running the older firmware.

The question is, how can I force an ATA to update, preferably *without*
having to have someone at the branch find a telephone to plug in and use
the voice menus? I will be able to have someone move ethernet cabling
around, so I can have them connect each ATA to the switch port
individually, but how can I make it update on demand?

Thanks!

Robert

--
Robert Singleton