[cisco-voip] help designing redundant SRST router with VG224s

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Sat Oct 31 22:49:36 EDT 2009

I'm hoping I can get the groups help coming up with a design solution for a redundant SRST gateway solution to service a bank of VG224s. We have to service elevators, campus emergency phones, and provide a means to allow departments to have at least one phone that will work in the event of a system outage (this will be their fax machines).

I've put some thought into it, but my networking skills aren't what they used to be. *sigh*

I've attached an image.

I'm thinking:

    • installing two 3945s with switchport modules in them
    • create a VLAN on each router to be the HSRP active/standby interface - VLAN 101
    • assign two ports on each switch module to VLAN 101 and connect the routers to each other (two links for redundancy, port channel or whatever)
    • create two point to point routed VLANs for each VG224 , on on router A for VG224 i/f 0, and one on router B for VG224 i/f 1
    • connect each router using routed VLANs to the campus network
    • create dial peers on router B to point to router A (HSRP Active) so that PSTN calls will be routed properly (and if there are any IP phones installed, or if the VG224 link to Router A is compromised)
    • use EIGRP magic to make things work

Questions:

    • Will the standby router become active if the other router is powered off? My main concern is whether the VLAN interface will be in an appropriate "up/up" mode

        • this FAQ seems to say yes: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00800a9679.shtml#q1
I'd like to also put dial peers on Router A pointing to Router B in the case that Router B becomes active for some reason. From a previous post, this should be OK, because H323 dialpeer loop prevention is on by default.
In general, do you think this will work?

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
(519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (JNHN)
"Bad grammar makes me [sic]" - Tshirt