[cisco-voip] Changing Unity codec from g711 to g729

Ruben Montes (Europe) Ruben.Montes at eu.didata.com
Wed Sep 9 11:18:16 EDT 2009

Hi,

we are having resources problems with the transcoding for calls reaching the unity call handlers. Every incoming call is processed first by a Unity call handler and then forwarded to CCM.

Due to design, all incoming alls are g729 and Unity was installed with g711 codec, so transcodeing resources are needed. Wwe don't have enough DSP and we are evaluating buying more DSP for the gateway or changing the codec from g711 to g729 in the Unity.

I've never done this before, so how is the process to convert all the system to the new codec? I've read some documentation but I'd like to have your feedback. I assume only one codec can be installed in the system or I can have both?

Thanks in advance,

Ruben