[cisco-voip] Help with Unity 4.2 and VM notificaiton via email

Rayan Gandhi rpg1018 at njit.edu
Fri Sep 11 09:42:44 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I need some help in getting vm notification via email to work on unity 4.2.
The environment is as follows:

We have a corporate domain and a voice mail domain.  They do not speak to
each other at all (via DNS,etc.), but they can talk over the network if
needed.

-In the voice mail domain there is an AD server an exchange server and 2
unity server (primary and fail over).
-I am intending to use the corporate smtp relay server (or even the exchange
server) to send the voice mail notifications out.
-The alias' in the corporate domain do not necessarily match the alias' in
the voice mail domain.
-I don't think this should matter since Unity attempts to send out via the
unity user name.
-I do see messages in the Queue on the exchange server

These are the steps that I went through to try and get things to work:

Browsed to System Manager
Expanded Admin groups, then the server
Expand protocols
Right click on SMTP
Select new smtp virtual server
Entered in a name
Click next
Select the ip address of the exchange server (in the voicemail domain)
Select finish

This did not help so I went into unity and configured the dialing domain
with the corporate domain name

This did not help so I created a connector and pointed it to the relay
server (even though I have been advised that a connector is not needed since
that is used only to send messages to other unity systems).

This did not help so I put in the ip address of a specific exchange server

Has anyone had any luck with getting vm notifications to work via email?
(We can not and do not want to go to unified messaging)  Any help/guidance
would be appreciated.