[cisco-voip] Unity 7 Connection and Voicemails on the PC

Lewis, Chris Chris.Lewis at magnetar.com
Fri Sep 18 04:00:52 EDT 2009

You need to setup a Smart Host on Unity and also ensure the SMTP Virtual
Server is correct.

There are ways to receive emails with Voicemails as attachments which
can be played back on the PC or a mobile device.  You have to change the
Message Actions for the User and provided you have the smtp address
correct then it will relays the message and saves it in Unity.  You have
to be careful though as relaying the message to the Exchange doesn't
delete the message from Unity Connection (Unless you  decide to do
this).

The messages are in wav format and that is all you can do.  They are
G.711 also which means about 7K per second for messages.  I did  set it
to G.729 which lowers the size considerably but as the Cisco G.729 codec
is their own there is nothing I could find which plays them back -
especially mobile devices.

I set it up so that only specific users have this functionality as we
didn't want to overload Exchange (would have gone for Unity if I had
wanted that one).  For all our users, I have it set that they get email
notification of a new message with the External Dial up number as part
of the Subject.  This works so that the users only need to click on the
number for it to dial into the server ( you will find adding the INTL
dial codes worthwhile here so they can do it from anywhere).  I also set
up Forwarding and Alternate Extensions (with their mobile devices as one
of them) so that they don't need to input their extension PLUS their PIN
code.  This way its only their PIN code and takes away an additional
step.

If you need more info then let me know - I have some docs somewhere on
the SMTP stuff.

Chris