[cisco-voip] Cisco MCU 3545 Software Upgrade form 5.5 to 5.7 Failure - Paperweight?

Giles Woolston giles.woolston at paradise.net.nz
Wed Apr 7 18:35:17 EDT 2010

Hi Guys,

When upgrading an 3545 MCU from 5.5 to 5.7 the upgrade failed and the
MCU has become unavailable (luckily we were testing this in the lab).
Upon connecting to console and rebooting we get the following error:

Main application started. Please wait...

Invalid application on Flash. Running Wakeup program.

And then it does nothing. Does not respond to HTTP or SNMP and is
unusable. We can't perform the upgrade again as SNMP does not work.

Is there a way to restore the application to flash, via console or TFTP?
I haven't had any luck finding documentation on this.

I can telnet to the MCU and login, but from there I don't see what else
I can do. Does anyone on here have experience with this?

Kind Regards,

Giles