[cisco-voip] an intercom without the talking?

Shaji George sgeorge111 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 11:55:44 EDT 2010

I have a similar issue with an University, I advise do not use the
intercom option it will turn on auto speaker. When the user is in call
with someone, intercom caller's voice will interfere. What you can do,
to create a separate partition and CSS and add those extensions into
it. Create DN button on their phones, when they press the button, it
will dial the other nurse's extension or make it as auto dial.
thanks
Sgeorge
http://callmanager111.blogspot.com

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 7:39 PM, John P Callahan <jcallaha at willamette.edu> wrote:

> We recently migrated our health center from Nortel Meridian phones to
> 7941/7961s on CUCM 7.1(3) and one of the things we found out after we were
> almost done was that the two phones in the reception area had two buttons on
> their Nortel Meridian phones that they described as "buzzers" for the two
> nurses phones on the other side of the facility.
>
> I don't know how it was implemented on the Nortel side, but from what was
> described (they press a button at a reception phone and the nurses phone
> makes a tone) the closest feature I could come up with on short notice was
> Intercom.  We built intercom lines on all four phones and instructed the
> reception to simply dial the intercom for the nurse they wanted, then hang
> up.
>
> The nurses complained that the intercom alert tone is too quiet and too
> quick - so we switched to having the reception staff verbally announce
> "Patient X is here for you" but now they complain that if they are on the
> phone the voice comes through the handset mixed with the existing caller
> rather than through the speaker.
>
> I haven't found any way to increase the volume of or change the alert tone,
> and the way the intercom mixes with a regular call on the handset seems to
> be as documented and presumably as designed.
>
> Has anyone else found a way to address this?  Is there a setting I am
> missing somewhere?
>
> My plan B is to whip up a service that sends a CiscoIPPhoneExecute object
> with a Play URI to the target phones - but that sounds like a lot of work,
> and potentially hard to support over time.
>
> Regards,
> John
>
> --
> John P. Callahan<jcallaha at willamette.edu>