[cisco-voip] Is there a way to shutdown make one of VIC2-FXS ports out of service to free DSP resources?

Nate VanMaren VanMarenNP at ldschurch.org
Tue Apr 20 10:27:18 EDT 2010

from
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_tech_note09186a00800c3399.shtml

At router boot time, DSP resources are allocated to VICs and VWICs in this manner:

1.      DSP resources are pre-allocated to analog VICs according to the setting for MC or HC codec operation of each VIC.

A single DSP that is set for FixMC operation can support four analog voice ports or two VICs. A single DSP that is set for FixHC operation can support two analog voice ports or one VIC.

2.      DSP resources are allocated for digital BRI VICs.

If there is an odd number of analog VICs on the voice router, all of which are set for MC codec operation, a BRI VIC has one of its voice ports serviced by one of the DSPs that is set for FixMC. The other BRI voice port uses a different DSP that is set for Flexi-6 operation. If the analog VICs are set for HC and MC codec operation in such a way that there is no DSP in either FixHC or FixMC mode that can support a BRI voice port, both ports of the BRI VIC are supported by a DSP that operates in Flexi-6 mode.

3.      Once analog and digital BRI voice ports are accounted for, DSP resources are allocated for digital T1/E1 voice calls with the use of Flexi-6 DSP firmware
The way I understand this, is the only way to free up DSPs used by un-used analog voice ports is to remove the card from the router.

-Nate