[cisco-voip] Design question on Voice Gateways / CFB / Transcoders

Bill Riley bill at hitechconnection.net
Tue Apr 27 21:49:30 EDT 2010

I am doing a redesign of an existing  voice network. We currently have two
3845's. One 3845 has three MFT-2 port PRI's. Four of the PRI's are used for
inbound and outbound calls. One port on the third MFT is used as a TIE line
between a Nortel box. We also have the other 3845 with two MFT-2 ports. Four
of those PRI's are used for inbound and outbound calling. The TDM gateways
are separated like this for business / political purposes which I can get
around if I need to and consolidate all of the TDM cards into one 3845 by
purchasing some Network Modules. The other design problem is they are
currently sending a substantial number of calls over the WAN to the central
UCCX servers as G.711. This is causing some network congestion problems at
their remote facilities. At any given time I would estimate about 60
concurrent calls coming in as G.711 over the wan to UCCX. I now want to
change the codec to G.729 over the WAN so I need to add some transcoding
resources. They also have their conference bridges setup to use Call Manager
as G.711 so I want to move those conference into the router as well. I know
how to do all this and the configuration is not a problem, I am more
concerned with what would be the best use of the routers. Should I leave the
TDM interfaces split like this. Purchase two fully populated NM-HDV2 with
four PVDM2-64. Place one NM module in each router and split the CFB's /
Transocding.  Should I consolidate the TDM interfaces in one router and
configure the other router with two NM's to only do the CFB and Transcoding?
Or should I try to consolidate everything and place all 9 PRI's and the
extra NM's for CFB and transcoding in one router. I have the extra physical
routers so I think I should use them.