[cisco-voip] Transcoder Issue

Peter Slow peter.slow at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 13:11:04 EDT 2010

> routing (connectivity) to device in the other center?  If xcoder is invoked
> then media may NOT flow from MoH server to xcoder properly. In this case it
> would depend if you are using unicast or multicast (I don't think xcoders
> handle multicast moh).  Does the CM hosting the MoH server have ip
> connectivity to the xcoder?

..They dont, (neither will IOS MTPs or CFBs. and up until somewhat
recently recently theres no multicast moh period across an ICT, even
without a transcoder in the mix.

> At the same time, what IP interface on the
> router is the transcoder bound to?  It could be bound to an IP interface
> that is not advertised in routing protocols so all devices don't know how to
> reach the transcoder IP address.

The interesting thign to consider here is that the xcoder , in order
to be used, necessarily has IP connectivity with at least one CUCM
unless someoens gone out of their way to cofngure separate media and
signalling addresses.

Oh wait, Tim, is your transcoder a CMM module? (I snicker, but ask a
serious question)

Tim, considering that you HAVE to have IP connectivity to one or more
CUCM servers, do you know what server is doing MoH for the XOCDE? The
MoH server will be selected from the MRGL on the device pool that the
utilized transcoder is in.

Thinking more abotu your issue aloud, can you tell us which side of
the ICT the transcoder is invoked on? what I just stated regarding IP
connectivity made the assumption that the transcoder is on the same
side of the ICT as the IP phone user hitting the hold key.

also, do everything wes said =)

-Peter