[cisco-voip] Transcoder Issue

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Fri Aug 13 11:52:27 EDT 2010

Inline, ws.

On Friday, August 13, 2010 10:53:10 AM, H, Tim <TimH at trstone.com> wrote:

> I'm working on an issue that is puzzling me.  Have you ever heard of
> Transcoders that will just not work?

ws: does transcoder not get invoked?(cm problem)
do they need to be invoked?(cm automatically provides g729 MoH streams
and may deallocate xcoder mid call after 8.x
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/8_0_1/delta/8_0_3.html#wp82302)

> I have setup inter-cluster trunks that go between call centers that
> serve as overflow for call centers.  Codec between call centers is
> G.729.  All UCCX machines are setup for G.711.  After one of my
> locations overflows to the other, they can hear prompts on the UCCX
> machine

ws: this 'generally' means xcoder invoked correctly.  CM service
parameters can be set so a call is attempted to be connected even if
media resource invocation occurs.  this usually disables supplementary
services though (no ability to place call on hold).

> but not MOH when the call is queued.

ws: now it's a bit interesting.  media flows from UCCX through xcoder
properly.  when connected to MoH is xcoder still required? is MoH
enabled to stream g.729?  If so, does the CM hosting the MoH service
have properly ip routing (connectivity) to device in the other center?
If xcoder is invoked then media may NOT flow from MoH server to xcoder
properly. In this case it would depend if you are using unicast or
multicast (I don't think xcoders handle multicast moh).  Does the CM
hosting the MoH server have ip connectivity to the xcoder?  At the same
time, what IP interface on the router is the transcoder bound to?  It
could be bound to an IP interface that is not advertised in routing
protocols so all devices don't know how to reach the transcoder IP address.

/wes