[cisco-voip] Call Control / Phone Registration Distance

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Fri Aug 20 18:32:31 EDT 2010

Good catch.

That depends on users and setting expectations.

It is dependent on the protocol in use. H.323 users will be impacted at
lower RTT as more packets re required to setup a call. Going way back in
time to
CSCdv68263 No windowing of h245 delays audio cutover in high roundtrip
network

This happened at 170msec RTT with H.323.  We could never get H323 fast
enough to avoid negative user experience ("hello, thank you for calling"
becomes "you for calling").  Moving to MGCP significantly improved
performance.

On the client side SCCP performs better than SIP as it is less chatty,
there is some commentary here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/netstruc.html#wpmkr1045581

SIP and SCCP will "work" (YMMV) at some pretty extreme delays (~1
second) but user experience is poor.

I don't see the comps documented on Cisco.com but they are available
through your Cisco account team.

/Wes