[cisco-voip] Phone echo

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 18:29:17 EDT 2010

There was a real bad echo bug in the 12.4 train around 12.4(11)T and 12.4(7)
or so.

The trick is replicating the problem.  Sometimes you can use output gain and
attenuation to reduce the difference between the outgoing voice and the echo
coming back in so that the echo canceler can tell the difference between
voice and echo.

Like mentioned, headsets will get you.  So will latencies over 128ms.  G.114
(?) says 150ms, but in reality you really want to be less than 150 if a PSTN
gateway is involved because of this limitation.

I've got a particularly tricky bug out there that still isn't solved:
CSCtb26941

If you do a 'show call active voice echo summary' and you see the tail
jumping between 24ms and 112ms, you're hitting the bug.  A reload helps, or
you may try IOS in the 15.x train since some of the echo code has changed.
Otherwise you can reload the router and it probably won't happen to you
again unless you've got a lot of routers.  This thing can take up to 2-3
years to hit some times.

-nick