[cisco-voip] Network Monitoring for CP-7945G

Crist Clark Crist.Clark at globalstar.com
Wed Aug 25 19:56:06 EDT 2010

The primary purpose is really inventory tracking. We want to correlate
DN to SN to MAC. That is combined with information we pull off of the
switch, which all automagically gets put into our home-grown inventory
tracking DB and web site. So when John Doe calls us saying his phone
isn't working, we can lookup his cube, which has his jack number, which
is connected to a switch port, which has a phone associated via MAC.
We can also work the other way, map from a DN to a cube and all points
in between.

Devices like these tend to mysteriously move around. I'm sure you all
have stories about users who "borrowed" a prettier, shinier new handset
from an empty desk and don't understand why it doesn't just pick up
their number when they plug it in their office.