[cisco-voip] 3 server cluster - Server roles

Ovidiu Popa ovi.popa at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 04:27:03 EDT 2010

Hi everyone

I have a 3 server cluster (around 1500 users) with 7845 HPs and need to
define how to activate the services between them.

Cisco recommends 4 servers for clusters > 1250 users :
1 dedicated PUB
1 dedicated TFTP
2 Subscribers

Since I have 1500 users and 3 servers I don't exactly fit the SRND specs and
I was wondering what you think is the best way to handle this ?

For now I'm leaning towards 50-50 load on Subscribers with the following
services:
PUB : Administration only
SUB1 : Subscriber + TFTP + IP Voice Media Streaming
SUB2 : Subscriber + TFTP + IP Voice Media Streaming

One other option that I like but involves overhead is this:
PUB: Administration + TFTP (primary)
SUB1: Subscriber + IP Voice Media Streaming (Primary)
SUB2: Subscriber + TFTP (Secondary) + IP Voice Media Streaming (Secondary)

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ovidiu