[cisco-voip] Quick failover and SRST

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Sun Dec 12 11:09:25 EST 2010

I have seen minutes go by before a phone registers to SRST. It has to do with the timeouts and retries connecting to the CallManagers though. We have three listed so it takes up to 6 1/2 minutes with the default timers on a VG224 for example. A phone takes about 2 to 3 minutes (you can't change the timers for the phones). You could lower the number of subs in the phone list to speed things up a bit i guess.

You'll have to pay for it one way or another, hardware (ISR vs MCS) and licenses (SRST vs node license). In v8 and new licensing you could put a server out there a bit cheaper now. You would maintain all functionality as well as a speedier recovery (using the local server as the primary would have no downtime at all).

But there's something about having to maintain a box out there that just doesn't sit well with me. Setting up an SRST box is pretty much set it and forget it.

If you don't have a lot of WAN outages, it's not a bad compromise.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
(519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (JNHN)
Cooking with unix is easy. You just sed it and forget it.
- LFJ (with apologies to Mr. Popeil)