[cisco-voip] Quick failover and SRST

Go0se me at go0se.com
Sun Dec 12 15:51:57 EST 2010

"most of the reading I have done implies about 40 seconds is required to
recognize failure of the primary, and initiate handoff to the subscriber." -
if I am reading correctly, you are talking about failover from the publisher
callmanager to the subscriber callmanager.  If this is the case typically
it's much faster than 40 seconds It's a matter of a few seconds. It depends,
however, on what all you have.

As a side note, Cisco recommends when you have more than one callmanager
that you "home" your phones to the subscriber during normal operations and
then allow the phones to failover to the publisher if the subscriber fails.
Having the phones run off of the subscriber reduces the workload on
publisher resources.

"should I keep SRST now that I will have redundant CMs?" - What is the
likelihood that any building could lose connectivity to both CMs at the same
time? If it is possible then your answer is yes. If you already have SRST it
won't hurt anything to leave it in place.

Thanks,

Go0se

My blog:

http://atc.go0se.com