[cisco-voip] ICMP to 7965 Phones - Packet loss when pinging from switch?

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Fri Feb 5 09:25:54 EST 2010

It's a DOS prevention mechanism.  The phones (and linux appliance servers) will drop pings that cone in over a certain threshold.  It just happens that Cisco routers and switches send pings at a rate much faster than Windows, and fast enough to trigger the phones to drop some.

This is absolutely expected and has been this way for a long time.

-Ryan