[cisco-voip] Dial plans

george.hendrix at l-3com.com george.hendrix at l-3com.com
Fri Feb 12 15:58:57 EST 2010

Hi everyone,

  I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best approach for a dial
plan or of any link you can send me for best practices.  Currently we
only have a couple of sites which have 5 digit dialing within each
cluster and also of course internally in each cluster.  We are
consolidating into one single cluster.  We will also have about 25
remote sites later.  Right now, users on the VOIP system dial 9 to dial
external numbers.  We have a new site which is assigned numbers where
the 6th digit is a 9, so for 5 digit dialing, there number is 9XXXX.  I
understand that I can simply put the line DN below external route
patterns (but also causes a 15 second delay for those extensions to be
dial as the system waits for more digits).  However, my concern is that
there may be an overlap of extensions later in the system 25 (or more)
sites.  I don't think it will happen, but I'd also be concerned of two
users with the same last 5 digits, even though users are in different
area codes.

Thanks,

Bill Hendrix

L-3 Communications