[cisco-voip] Dial plans

Dennis Heim Dennis.Heim at cdw.com
Fri Feb 12 16:19:34 EST 2010

Things to think about:

1)      Change access code to something other than 9. Otherwise there always seems to be a group that become buddy buddy with their local 911 operator. Possibly use 8.

2)      Pick a number to be your access code for intersite callings, for example 1.

a.       One option would be 1 + <2-digit site code> + <current 5 digit-dn>

3)      Create a translation pattern that for 5 digits that do not start with 0,1 or 8 or  [2-7]XXXX then prepend their site code. This way calls within the site (intra-site) is still a 5 digit code

4)      For your site that starts with 9, as painful as it is, I would move them out of the 9 range.

This is all going to be fairly painful, but will definitely make life easier, and allow you to scale up to 99 sites. This maintains their existing 5 digit extensions, and keeps intra-site dialing the same or very similar.

Dennis Heim
Network Voice Engineer
CDW  Advanced Technology Services
11711 N. Meridian Street, Suite 225