[cisco-voip] Same DID for Phone and Fax

Matthew Ballard mballard at otis.edu
Wed Feb 17 13:18:53 EST 2010

I had looked into this previously myself, and decided against it.  From
what I remember, the only options were:

1)      The below option, which has the disadvantage that the caller
hears more rings before a phone actually rings, and it has to be long
enough for the various types of fax machines to generate the required
tone, in addition to the higher resource load on the gateway.

2)      The router listens into the call when answers (for x number of
seconds), and transfers it to the fax server if it hears the tone after
being answered by the phone or voicemail.  This has a major disadvantage
in that someone could answer the call and then be immediately cut off if
it is a fax.  This also has the higher gateway load.

3)      If your calls go to an auto-attendant first anyways (or straight
to voicemail for users without a phone), then it's pretty clean, as the
receiving system does the transfer as needed.

After looking at the options and discussing with my boss, we decided the
best choice was to have separate DIDs for voice vs fax.

Matthew Ballard

Network Manager

Otis College of Art and Design

mballard at otis.edu