[cisco-voip] CUCM Remote TFTP options

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Mon Jan 25 10:48:22 EST 2010

Fully agreed.

There is 1 optimization available that has not yet been leveraged.  For
the "centralized TFTP" feature (see SRND) CM TFTP servers will serve up
files via HTTP.  For an example see CSCsq48448.

An ambitious individual could leverage this feature to setup something
similar to a TFTP proxy server:
remote_site_phone<--tftp-->local_tftp_proxy<---http---->central_site_CM_TFTP_server

The proxy would take a TFTP request, retrieve the requested file from
central via http, then serve it up locally via TFTP.
This would use HTTP over the WAN for better efficiency.  I am not aware
of anyone productizing this yet.

/Wes