[cisco-voip] Ringback and AAR on CTI Route Point

O'Brien, Neil nobrien at datapac.com
Sat Jan 30 08:27:53 EST 2010

Hi,

I have two questions, but both are somewhat related.

I have call admission control and AAR configured on a 9 sites with a
central Call Manager 7 cluster.

One site which has only a 128k link into it has 3 ISDN lines (6
channels).  All inbound calls hit an Unity Auto Attendant through the
WAN so with 6 ISDN channels there's potential of easily  over
subscribing the 128K WAN.

On testing this, I've come to realise that the CAC/AAR is not
functioning correctly, but only where the CTI route point in concerned.
When the calls come in, they're directed to a CTI Route Point which puts
the call into Unity.  I have the CTI RP set up the same way as any
extension on that site.  As a test, if I lower the bandwidth allocation
of the remote site to something that wont' even allow one call and I
attempt to call another phone across the WAN, CAC/AAR kicks in and the
call is rerouted out through the PSTN. However if I try to call the CTI
Route point extn#, the CAC kicks in but it doesn't reroute the call, so
the call is prevented from connecting across the WAN but not rerouted
out to the PSTN.

When I call into the site externally, where the incoming call is
translated to the CTI Route Point, the caller hears ringback.  This
doesn't make sense as if the call got through the route point, the
AutoAttendant would answer.

So basically, AAR isn't working for my CTI Route Point, and callers are
hearing ringback even though CAC has prevented the call from connecting
to the route point.

I have read something about route point and AAR and I will keep digging
but I don't even know what to look for regarding the ringback when
nothing is actually ringing.

Thanks in advance,

Neil